[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary [ICU]

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Apr 29 10:58:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Karl Berry wrote:

>    -#include "Features.h"
>    +#include "TLFeatures.h"

Hi Karl and Ken,

first of all I'd prefer the name ICUFeatures.h, because that really is an
ICU problem. What a brilliant idea to use the name "Features.h"" when
/usr/include/features.h is a known (well known?) system include file and
case insensitive filesystems are not completely unheared of (not just Dos
and Win).

> Even though it's simple, it seems less than ideal, since the upstream
> library has nothing to do with TL, so we'd have to maintain the change
> in perpetuity.

True, but I think Jonathan Kew (with his ICU contacts) could/should trigger
to have that changed in the upstream version.

> Why does cygwin need the #include name Features.h?  Why isn't the file
> in TL found first due to the -I's?

Well, that's a question for the ICU build system, something I'd like not to
touch unless absolutely necessary.

Ken,

can you live for the moment with these patches applied to your working copy?
Then 'svn update' would not touch them and for rsync you could add a suitable
'--exclude'.

Regards
Peter