[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- a first summary

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Apr 27 14:03:00 CEST 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
>
> Ken,
>
>> gcc -g -O2  ... tangle.c   -o tangle
>> tangle.c:2:21: cpascal.h: No such file or directory
>> tangle.c:17: error: parse error before "textfile"
>
> That looks like a builtin rule, used instead of the explicit rules in (the
> generated) Makefile, something like:
> 	tangle.obj: tangle.c tangle.h
> 		gcc <includes> ... -c tangle.c -o tangle.obj
> 	tangle.exe: tangle.obj
> 		gcc <ldflags> ... tangle.obj <libraries> -o tangle
>
> Could be that cygwin wants to be very clever and thus defeats the use of
> $(EXEEXT) and $(OBJEXT) in Makefile.in as generated by Automake.  This needs
> further investigation.
>
> Can you please send me the generated texk/web2c/Makefile.

Hi Ken,

this reminds me of Taco's attempts some time ago to cross-build on linux for
mingw32, with similar failures.  The reason was 'tangle' (not
'tangle$(EXEEXT)') as a dependency that caused Make to apply a builtin rule.
Lacking the required '-Ixxx' directives and libraries that rule clearly
failed (as in your case).

Could be, there is still such a dependency lurking around, although I had
thought they were now all corrected.

Can you try to 'touch tangle' in the texk/web2c build directory and then run
'make', first in the texk/web2c build directory and if that succeeds in the
top-level build directory.  This should then continue the build process and
possibly uncover more problems of the same kind.

Regards
Peter