[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- a first summary

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Apr 27 12:28:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> I would very much appreciate if as many of you as possible could try to
> build for your system, such that we can identify and address the remaining
> problems.
>
> Please report any problems, but first read the file top-level/WARNING.

First I'd like to thank all of you that have tried the TL2009 build
(successful or not).

================

There were a few successful builds (not necessarily implying that the
executables do what they are supposed to do):

Richard Koch: intel-mac + power-mac => universal darwin

Reinhard Kotucha: x86_64-linux

Martin Schröder: x86_64-linux
with the observation that xetex uses as shared libfreetype instead of the
static one from the TL tree (that needs further investigation)

================

Now to the failures:

Angelo Graziosi: GNU/Linix Kubuntu 8.04.2 (I assume x86_64), with followup
msgs from Norbert Preining, Jonathan Kew

Ken Brown: cygwin 1.7, Cygwin 1.5.25

Apostolos Syropoulos: Solaris 10 x86 (please see below)

================

Som general comments:

(1) Maybe my original msg caused some confusion. The sources are in
 	svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Build/source
not
 	rsync tug.org::tldevsrc/Build/source
in case these two are different. There must be a top-level file WARNING
from 2009-04-24 (or later).

(2) The installed version of Libtool is irrelevant (as long as you don't run
'libtoolize' or equivalent).  The SVN sources use 2.2.6.

(3) The configure options to suppress building a package (subdirectory) or
program have been renamed, e.g., '--without-xetex' => '--disable-xetex' (see
'configure --help' output at the top-level).

(4) The build process has been restructured (see the top-level file
README.layout for details). As a consequence all directories are configured,
but only the requested/required ones are built. In fact
 	configure --disable-all-pkgs && make && make install
will configure everything, but build and install nothing.

================

Angelo,

maybe you have to run
 	./Build CONFIG_SHELL=<good_shell>
not
 	CONFIG_SHELL=<good_shell> ./Build
where <good_shell> is a shell that understands function and constructs
like 'VAR+=VAL' (required by libtool).

================

Ken,

> gcc -g -O2  ... tangle.c   -o tangle
> tangle.c:2:21: cpascal.h: No such file or directory
> tangle.c:17: error: parse error before "textfile"

That looks like a builtin rule, used instead of the explicit rules in (the
generated) Makefile, something like:
 	tangle.obj: tangle.c tangle.h
 		gcc <includes> ... -c tangle.c -o tangle.obj
 	tangle.exe: tangle.obj
 		gcc <ldflags> ... tangle.obj <libraries> -o tangle

Could be that cygwin wants to be very clever and thus defeats the use of
$(EXEEXT) and $(OBJEXT) in Makefile.in as generated by Automake.  This needs
further investigation.

Can you please send me the generated texk/web2c/Makefile.

Apostolos,

unfortunately, the excerpt you sent doesn't tell me what went wrong. Can you
send a log of what happened before, e.g., output from the last configure
(successful or failed)?  How did you run everything, './Build' of an
explicit 'configure && make'?  Was anything built?