[tlbuild] Building luatex with poppler

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Apr 20 14:24:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:

> for Debian I have adjusted the libpoppler patch for luatex. Thanks to
> the work of Peter it is getting easier and easier, and AFAIS the patch
> for TeX Live itself well shrink, too.
>
> Besides the code change (which is rather minimal), the patch to the
> Makefile.in and configure is as follows:

> Now two things:
> 1) is there any chance to make that even simpler? I mean if one selects
>   --with-poppler we would only have to change the value of
> 	XPDF_LIBS to -lpoppler
>   and
> 	XPDF_DEPEND to nothing
>   (because poppler would be always system wide)
>   and
> 	XPDF_INCLUDES to something given with --with-poppler-include
>   Whether the need_xpdf is set to true/false I do not know if it makes
>   any difference.

Hi Norbert,

I have something like that in mind:

configuring with --with-system-poppler (use installed libpoppler instead of
libxpdf from TL tree) will set the CPPFLAGS, INCLUDES, and DEPENDENCIES for
libpoppler, including one flag like -DPOPPLERVERSION that can be used by the
{pdf,lua,Xe}TeX code to distinguish which one is used.

In other words the build systems pretends that libxpdf and libpoppler are
essentially the same thing (which they are), one from the TL tree and one
installed.

I think that will have the minimal impact on the TL build system (at the
price of renaming libs/xpdf => libs/poppler).

If Karl objects to that renaming, --with-system-xpdf would have the same
effect (the name being slightly misleading, but the help text could
elaborate).  [The configure options --with-system-XXX are generated
automatically with names derived from the libs/* directories].

=================

So, all that would be needed for this are the -DPOPPLERVERSION dependent
changes in the *TeX code.

> 2) Concerning system libpng: Most things work out of the box if one
>   gives
> 	--with-system-png
>   but in source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/image/image.h there is a
> 	#  include <../libpng/png.h>
>   which has to be changed to
> 	#  include <png.h>
>   Taco, any chance to fix that in one or the other way?

I think Taco has already fixed that.

Regards
Peter