[tlbuild] Build progress with CYGWIN

Rodrigo Medina rodmedina at cantv.net
Sat Aug 30 16:04:09 CEST 2008

Dear TeXlive team

I am trying to build TeXlive for CYGWIN. I am using the file
texlive-20080816-source.

Because the current CYGWIN compiler is gcc-3.4.4 the graphite-engine will
not compile and xindy-2.1 will not compile (as I understand what the
xindy page says)

I used the command
./Build --without-graphite

Up to now I have found three problems:
1- (Solved) Because Windows does not distinguish uppercase from
   lowercase file names there was a confusion between a system
   /usr/include/features.h file and a .../libs/icu-xetex/layout/Features.h
   file of xetex. I changed the name of Features.h and its references
   in the files that appear in /libs/icu-xetex/layout/ and in
   /texk/web2c/xetexdir/.

2- (Solved) The compilation of XeTeXFontMgr.cpp failed because the
   function SWAP(fixed p) was not defined in XeTeXswap.h
   I repeated for U_CYGWIN the conditional definition of SWAP that there
   was for XETEX_MAC. It worked.

3- (Not solved) After the successful compilation of XeTeXFontInst_FT2.cpp
  the build process stopped because:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`../../libs/icu-xetex/lib/libsicudata.a', needed by `xetex'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/rmedina/TeXlive-2008/texlive-20080816-source/Work/texk/web2c'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/rmedina/TeXlive-2008/texlive-20080816-source/Work/texk'
make: *** [all] Error 1

   Do you have any idea about this problem?

Best regards
Rodrigo Medina