[tlbuild] Testing net install

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Aug 4 11:21:28 CEST 2008

On Mo, 04 Aug 2008, Edd Barrett wrote:
> % ./install-tl
> tar --version failed (status 256): No such file or directory
> Output is:tar: unknown option -- -
> usage: tar {crtux}[014578befHhjLmOoPpqsvwXZz]
>            [blocking-factor | archive | replstr] [-C directory] [-I file]
>            [file ...]
>        tar {-crtux} [-014578eHhjLmOoPpqvwXZz] [-b blocking-factor]
>            [-C directory] [-f archive] [-I file] [-s replstr] [file ...]
> Couldn't set up the necessary programs.
> Cannot continue with installation.
> Please report to texlive at tug.org.
> ---8<---

Bummer.

We had problems with wrongly linked binaries so I added checks for the
existences and functionality of the three binaries (wget, tar, lzmadec).
Unfortunately --version seems not to be supported by all tar variants.

Karl: What do you think, let us turn of the check for tar?

Reasons is that we ship wget and lzmadec so they might not function on
a specific system, but for tar we always use the system one. So I would
expect that it is working.

> Another reccommendation would be to get the script to report a line and
> file it failed in, as grepping 'tar' or 'version' gives too much output
> to find the error or I would have looked into this myself.

The error message now adds to the top:
	TeXLive::TLUtils::setup_programs failed:
hope that is enough. The actual die line will not help you since it is
somewhere far away from that.

If you want to test, edit your tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm,
sub setup_programs, and remove the "tar" from the list of programs to
check at the end of the function.

Best wishes

Norbert