[tlbuild] Testing net install

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:32:13 CEST 2008

Hi,

I thought it would be a good idea to test the net installer to see if I
could get a running system from the binaries I just submitted.

I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but I cant see any
docs on the tl page unless I missed them.

So what I have done is checked out 'install-tl' and 'tlpkg/' from svn
and run 'install-tl'.

---8<---
% ./install-tl
tar --version failed (status 256): No such file or directory
Output is:tar: unknown option -- -
usage: tar {crtux}[014578befHhjLmOoPpqsvwXZz]
           [blocking-factor | archive | replstr] [-C directory] [-I file]
           [file ...]
       tar {-crtux} [-014578eHhjLmOoPpqvwXZz] [-b blocking-factor]
           [-C directory] [-f archive] [-I file] [-s replstr] [file ...]
Couldn't set up the necessary programs.
Cannot continue with installation.
Please report to texlive at tug.org.
---8<---

tar != gtar on OpenBSD (and also on solaris too, although you can use
/usr/sfw/bin/gtar).

Another reccommendation would be to get the script to report a line and
file it failed in, as grepping 'tar' or 'version' gives too much output
to find the error or I would have looked into this myself.

If you are just checking tar is installed, why not use 'type tar' or
'which tar' and read the exit status? This may not be the purpose of
'tar --version' ofcourse.

Thanks

--

Best Regards