[texworks] Qtscript debugger doesn't open

Jean Hare jean.hare at lkb.ens.fr
Wed Feb 21 12:24:42 CET 2024

Hi Stefan, Thank you for your quick but detailed answer.What I wrote earlier was a little inaccurate :coming back to the (old) Win 10 boxes I saw that i didn't tested on them all the quoted versions on them, but only some of the oldest. Namely the (old) MiKTeX flavour of  v0.6.8 was still built with Qt5.x while the more recent one has actually moved to Qt6.According to your  answer,  this seems the explanation for the functionning of the debugger for the old versions and not for the current releases (0.6.9 in TeXlive and, to date of writing, 0.6.8 for MiKTeX for Winx64)As a result, would it be possible to install a standalone debugger from Qt6 distribution and use it with TeXworks v0.6.9 ? Or should i stick with the older versions built with Qt5 and their embedded debugger?By the way, did the JS TW API evolved beetwen the v 0.6.4 and the most recent ?In such case, where is it donumented ?This question because i would like, if possible,  to get rid of twPan.js (and dependencies) heavily used in old scripts found on the web, and aso avoid clashes beetwen scripts for v0.6.8 and for v0.6.9.Best wishes,Jean Hare
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> Date : 19/02/2024  16:21  (GMT+01:00) À : Jean Hare <jean.hare at lkb.ens.fr>, texworks at tug.org Objet : Re: [texworks] Qtscript debugger doesn't open Hi,On 19.02.24 13:19, Jean Hare wrote:> On a freshly (re)-installed Windows  box, I encounter a new problem :> when an error occurs in a (JS)  script, the Qtscript  debugger never > opens, and I get only a small alert box.>> Of course, I have enabled the corresponding checkbox in > Preferences>>Scripts> I read the mailing list archive, and various docs by Paul A Norman (a > big thank you to him too).> I also fiddled with the security options, without success.>> This behavior is common  to official  -TUG) 0.6.8 and 0.6.9 versions, > to up-to-date miktex packaged version (0.6.8)> and to a prerelease 0.7.0 version.>> On several (older) Win 10 PC that I tested, this works perfectly with > all the quoted  versions.This is weird - it (probably) shouldn't.Some background: a while back, we moved from Qt5 to Qt6. Qt6 comes with a new javascript engine, that unfortunately doesn't have a built-in debugger, yet (see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55905). Therefore, I'm surprised it worked for you with the newest Tw versions on some (older) Win10 PCs.That said, there also is a legacy version of Tw which is still built with (obsolete and unsupported) Qt5. This is intended primarily for old operating systems no longer supported by Qt6 (e.g., Win7, Win8), and generally shouldn't be run on modern PCs, but it does come with the old scripting engine with the debugger.FWIW, you can check which version of Qt is used in the Help > About TeXworks... dialog.HTHStefan