[texworks] Call for Help: Testing

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:17:15 CET 2024

Dear Stefan and Philip,

Anyone working with these kinds of Windows issues, may find the "fully"
Open Source Portable Apps project (if you're not already using it) very
helpful.
It's a bit similar though possibly more GUI User friendly than things like
Chocolatey. I've been using both for years.

PortableApps offers to automatically update applications downloaded through
it, and as it's name implies presents apps as able to run on a portable
drive.

They've just included wide support in their latest release ... “adds edge
case handling for Windows XP 64-bit in the App Store”.

The latest release also now ...
“Platform 29 brings compatibilty filtering to only show the apps that work
with your PC [OS version] along with dozens of legacy app builds for
everything from Windows XP to Windows 10 32-bit”

Like Chocolatey it even provides software for developers to bundle
applications and libraties for release via their platform.

Worth a look :-)

https://portableapps.com

Perhaps more advanced in some features...

“The Package
Manager for Windows
Modern Software Automation”

https://chocolatey.org/

“Chocolatey was created by Rob Reynolds in 2011 with the simple goal of
offering a universal package manager for Windows. Chocolatey is an open
source project that provides developers and admins alike a better way to
manage Windows software.

“With more versions of software to support and endless updates, our goal
was to help our customers become efficient and innovative software-driven
organizations.
...”

https://chocolatey.org/about

Paul

On Friday 16 February 2024, Philip Taylor (Personal) <P.Taylor at trezaise.uk>
wrote:
> Dear Stefan —
>
> On 15.02.24 12:25, Philip Taylor (Personal) wrote:
>
> May I respectfully ask, are we really dependent on being able to access
nightly.link ?  Is there no other mechanism that could be used ?

> I am open to any alternative suggestions. The way it currently works is
this: GitHub automatically builds TeXworks whenever the code is changed.
The resulting binaries are available on TeXworks' GitHub Actions page for
anyone who has a (free) GitHub account.

> I will have a go at creating such an account ...
>
> But FWIW, in a virtual machine, I could download TeXworks successfully
via the nightly link (on https://tug.org/texworks/ under "Online
resources") with: