[texworks] Changing JPGs to EPSs

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Mon May 1 16:11:42 CEST 2023

On 01/05/2023 02:33, warren page via texworks wrote:
> When I open MiKTeX on my Mac, I obtain a MiKtex-texworks file. What commands are needed to convert a JPG to an EPs using MiKTeX on a Mac?

I am sure that there are better ways, but here is how I would [try to]
tackle the task —

  * Use the TeXworks editor to create the following file

     % !TeX Program=XeTeX

     \message {Please entire filename, including .jpg extension}
     \read -1 to \filename
     \setbox 0 = \vbox {\XeTeXpicfile "\filename" \relax}
     \shipout \box 0
     \end

  * Tell TeXworks to compile it.  It will start by asking for a name
    under which to save the file, typically offering "untitled-1.tex" as
    default.  Change this to something more meaningful, e.g.
    "Example.tex", and note the location (directory / folder) in which
    TeXworks saves the file.
  * The file, when compiled, will prompt "Please entire filename,
    including .jpg extension"; do as it says, and hit <return>.
  * Launch the Apple Macintosh equivalent of a CMD window
  * In this window, change directory to the location in which TeXworks
    saved your file
  * Type "pdftops -eps Example.pdf"

You should end up with a file "Exemplar.eps" in the same directory.
E&OE, I have never used an Apple Macintosh in my life.

--
/Philip Taylor/