[texworks] What file should TeXworks attempt to typeset when the green "Typeset" button is clicked in the preview window ?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 20:33:56 CET 2023

On 05.03.23 14:17, Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:

> I ask because, with $n$ files open in the source window, including
> "Handbook.tex" and "April+May.tex", clicking on "Typeset" in a preview
> window that is displaying "Handbook.pdf" cause TeXworks to attempt to
> typeset "April+May.tex" which, lacking a "< !TeX Root>" pragmat and
> being incomplete in itself, fails.  Is this behaviour intended ?

No, this is not intended.
The intended behavior is for TeXworks to use an open file that typesets
the given pdf. If several files are open that correspond to the given
pdf (e.g., by means of a "!TeX root" statement), any one of those could
be used. If no appropriate file is open, TeXworks should try to find and
open one (this would likely be the root file).

Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the issue in my quick tests so far.
Could you specify which files you created/opened/saved/typeset/closed in
which order? Maybe even provide (minimal) example files to facilitate
testing? It might be that something confuses TeXworks' internal map of
which .tex window corresponds to which .pdf window, but this very likely
depends on the exact order of operations.

All the best,
Stefan