[texworks] [XeTeX] Adobe PDF, Adobe Acrobat/Reader, Microsoft Word, XeTeX, and (x)dvipdfm(x).

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat May 29 11:22:53 CEST 2021

Hallo Akira-san, and many thanks for the information.  As far as I can
see, the real problem lies in the fact that "only documents opened by
`pdfopen' can be closed by `pdfclose'" [This is a problem because
TeXworks appears not to use `pdfopen' when instructed to "Print
PDF..."].  I assume that this restriction exists because `pdfopen'
obtains some sort of descriptor/handle to the file which it has opened,
which it then uses to close the file, but I have checked and ascertained
that MS Word does not suffer from this problem — I can open a
Word-generated PDF by double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer, and if
I then open the original Word document and tell it to "Save as PDF",
Word manages to tell Adobe Acrobat to close the file even though it did
not initiate the open.  I therefore have two questions :

 1. Is there any possibility that `pdfclose' could be enhanced such that
    `pdfclose' can open any currently open PDF, not just one that it has
    itself opened; and
 2. Would it be possible to develop a `pdfDDE' program that would
    iterate over the known set of DDE server names and report which (if
    any) allow successful communication with the server, as determining
    the DDE server name appears to be somewhat problematic ?

In the meantime I will raise this issue on the TeXworks list, since if
TeXworks could use `pdfopen' and `pdfclose' (the former when instructed
to "Print PDF...", the latter before calling XeTeX), then that would
address at least a part of the current problem.
--
/Philip Taylor/