[texworks] Please test the new macOS build

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue May 4 07:09:47 CEST 2021

Dear community,

this call goes to all TeXworks users on macOS (everyone else can simple
ignore it :)).

Recently, it has been brought to my attention that TeXworks did not work
on macOS 10.14 anymore
[https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/issues/934]. Upon investigation,
it turned out that this was caused by the way the macOS packages were
built. As a result, I had to quite drastically change the macOS build
process. I hope that everything is as good as before now (or even
better), but not being a Mac user myself it is hard to tell if I missed
anything. Therefore, I would appreciate it very much if people who are
regular Mac users could test the new package and report if there are any
issues I might have missed or not.

The latest development version can be found at
https://texworks.jfrog.io/artifactory/macos-latest/0.7.0/ (dated May
3rd, 2021 or later).

Some things I can think of that should be tested:
* Does it work on all officially supported macOS versions (10.14 Mojave,
10.15 Catalina, 11.0 Big Sur)?
* Are fonts in PDFs displayed correctly?
* Does
https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/raw/master/modules/QtPDF/unit-tests/base14-fonts.pdf
display correctly?
(https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/blob/master/modules/QtPDF/unit-tests/base14-fonts-1.png
shows how it should roughly look like)
* Does
https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/raw/master/modules/QtPDF/unit-tests/poppler-data.pdf
display correctly?
(https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/blob/master/modules/QtPDF/unit-tests/poppler-data-1.png
shows how it should roughly look like)
* Does the support for non-English text/non-latin fonts work correctly?
* Are images in PDFs displayed correctly? (especially "weird image
formats", images with masks, images with peculiar color spaces and/or
color profiles, ...; but of course also the "average jpeg")
* Does TeX and related programs work as expected?
* In particular, does the font support of XeTeX/XeLaTeX work as expected?
* Anything else you can think of that is important for your work with
TeXworks

As you might have guessed from the list above, the my worries are less
about the internals/functions of TeXworks itself, but rather about how
it interacts with other programs (such as TeX) and/or libraries (e.g.,
for PDF rendering).

Thanks in advance,
Stefan