[texworks] Backward compatibility of the Qt bindings in poppler

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Mon Mar 29 15:53:43 CEST 2021

Hi Stefan,

> As a fan of RAII (and objects that clean up after themselves), I am
> generally very much in favor of such a move.

that's great to hear.  I'll you know once the complete interface-changing
patch is done.

> That being said, I assume that we can migrate to using std::unique_ptr
> everywhere in our (poppler-related) codebase, either as returned (when
> using poppler-qt6) or by creating them with std::make_unique (from raw
> pointers returned by poppler-qt5)?

If you want to migrate your own code to std::unique_ptr then maybe
the #ifdefs can even be avoided, because code like

   auto foo = std::unique_ptr<Foo>( popplerMethod() );

should work no matter whether the pointer returned by popplerMethod
is plain-C or unique_ptr.

Best regards,
Oliver