[texworks] TeXworks 0.6.6 released

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:12:06 CET 2021

Dear Otared,

Your mail (presumably inadvertently) was sent to me personally rather
than to the list. I'm cross-posting this reply to the mailing list as well.

On 12.03.21 10:21, Otared Kavian wrote:
> For the prurpose of testing, I downloaded TexWorks version 0.6.6, but noticed that it does not work with MacOS 10.14.6, and requires MacOS 10.15 or higher.
> Is this intended ? (This is not a big issue for me, but I wanted to ask on this list).

Thanks for letting me know. It is not intended, however after some
digging I didn't find an easy way to remedy this.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac user myself. I.e., I neither have much
knowledge or experience with Mac internals, nor is it easy for me to
experiment and test things.

Background: Tw is built automatically using GitHub Actions, which ATM
runs macOS 10.15. Homebrew (which is used for obtaining dependencies)
installs packages for the current OS version only. Those will run on
newer versions as well, but not on older ones. Since GitHub doesn't
provide a macOS 10.14 builder and homebrew apparently can't be persuaded
to change the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, we're stuck with 10.15+ support
for now.

That is, unless someone is willing to compile and package TeXworks on an
older system and provide the necessary files. However, even in that
case, we should perform some extensive testing before publishing it as
"official release package" to ensure that it actually works properly on
all macOS versions.

Best regards,
Stefan