[texworks] sh: lualatex: command not found – workaround

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 07:45:56 CEST 2019

Hi Arno,

Good on you.
The 'problem' can actually be very useful for people who need certain
utilities (ImageMagick php MySql/MariaDB etc..) and in particular certain
versions of those utilities available to TeXworks (particularly Scripting)
or their overall LaTeX (etc..) installation, which they do not want
potentially interfering with things system wide.

This is particularly useful for running TeXWorks etc as a portable
installation.

Under Windows you can call TeXworks from a batch file passing it only the
specific path(s) that you need. (Under Windows remember to specify your
windows and windows\system32 directories if you are replacing the whole
Path!).
If you need to elevate your permissions you can start the calling batch
file you write for TeXworks
using a Privileged User (Administrator) you previously make, say called
'latex', (you'll be asked for the Password at least once in a while) - with
TW.bat having whatever you need in it...

X:
cd X:\LaTeXPortable
runas /user:YourComputerName\latex  /savecred X:\LaTeXPortable\TW.bat

You can do the same with Environment variables. There is a lot of help on
the Internet for the details overall for all this - (this is not the place
to cover them).
Look around places like  ( https://ss64.com/nt/syntax-variables.html ) and
of course
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/windows-commands

The general principles are the same for most operating systems.
https://ss64.com/

Paul