[texworks] sh: lualatex: command not found

Arno Trautmann arno.trautmann at gmx.de
Mon Jul 15 15:06:05 CEST 2019

Hi Stefan,

On 7/13/19 11:25 AM, Stefan Löffler wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> On 07.07.19 13:36, Arno Trautmann wrote:
>> I have weird behavior of texworks when trying to externalize a tikz
>> figure an in the example below. texworks tells me
>> ––
>> sh: lualatex: command not found
>> ––
>> However if I call in my terminal:
>> ––
>> sh-5.0$ lualatex
>> This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019)
>> ––
>> So sh knows lualatex. Also, this did work since a long time and suddenly
>> stopped about last week. I get the externalization when calling from
>> terminal, so it seems that texworks is calling something wrong but I
>> cannot figure out what.
>
> As far as Tw is concerned, there were no relevant changes to the code in
> the past few weeks.

Ok, interesting …

> I am a bit surprised that lualatex is explicitly called through sh...
> maybe you could check the definition of the lualatex typesetting tool?
>
> Also, can you trace down where lualatex is placed and how it's defined?
> On my system, it's a maze of symlinks that ultimately points to luatex.
> That could potential;y also cause problems if all symlinks are resolved
> and luatex is called instead of lualatex...

/home/texlive2019/bin/x86_64-linux/lualatex

How do I check the definition? Or what kind of information would you need?

> I would also try adding a new typesetting tool (for debugging purposes)
> that just calls `env` to print the environment variables to see if $PATH
> is correct.

This is the output of tw with env:

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
DISPLAY=:0.0
HOME=/home/arno
INVOCATION_ID=e0e2bbda3e714619b969630c25543a7a
JOURNAL_STREAM=9:15955
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LOGNAME=arno
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/arno
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
OLDPWD=/home/arno
PATH=/usr/lib/hardening-wrapper/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl
PWD=/home/arno
SHELL=/bin/zsh
SHLVL=1
TERM=linux
TEXEDIT=/usr/bin/texworks --position=%d %s
USER=arno
WINDOWPATH=1
XAUTHORITY=/home/arno/.Xauthority
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000