[texworks] sh: lualatex: command not found

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 11:25:45 CEST 2019

Hi Arno,

On 07.07.19 13:36, Arno Trautmann wrote:
> I have weird behavior of texworks when trying to externalize a tikz
> figure an in the example below. texworks tells me
> ––
> sh: lualatex: command not found
> ––
> However if I call in my terminal:
> ––
> sh-5.0$ lualatex
> This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019)
> ––
> So sh knows lualatex. Also, this did work since a long time and suddenly
> stopped about last week. I get the externalization when calling from
> terminal, so it seems that texworks is calling something wrong but I
> cannot figure out what.

As far as Tw is concerned, there were no relevant changes to the code in
the past few weeks.

I am a bit surprised that lualatex is explicitly called through sh...
maybe you could check the definition of the lualatex typesetting tool?

Also, can you trace down where lualatex is placed and how it's defined?
On my system, it's a maze of symlinks that ultimately points to luatex.
That could potential;y also cause problems if all symlinks are resolved
and luatex is called instead of lualatex...

I would also try adding a new typesetting tool (for debugging purposes)
that just calls `env` to print the environment variables to see if $PATH
is correct.

HTH