[texworks] TexWorks package installation

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at yandex.ru
Thu Oct 4 11:02:18 CEST 2018

Hello,
** bvitaly at univ.kiev.ua [2018-10-02 15:50:32 +0300]:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using TexWorks for some years and I like it because of automatic
> package installation.

This is not TeXworks feature, it is MikTeX one.

> But now I hit into a trouble. The journal requires
> both normal and referee version of paper in PDF, and I'm not able to
> compile this referee version  since it requires xcolor package. Package
> installation dialog appears, the location is
> ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/CTAN/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/
> but when I press "install" the error appears
>> pdflatex.EXE: Host not found
>> pdflatex.EXE: Data: get host by name failed in tcp_connect()

Use apropriate MikTeX tool to install packages. Though it is quite
comfortable to do most of stuff in TeXworks but I would suggest to use
MPM tool.

> The ftp.cstug.cz is 147.251.48.146, I can nslookup it,

There seems to be a problem with your internet connection, the mpm
couldn't establish connection to that server. Run miktex tool and choose
another mirror.

> and I can view the empty FTP directory contents. Is the repository
> path changed? Where are packages located now?

Always check the CTAN:
https://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/xcolor

Again, use another mirror.

> Thanks.