[texworks] .bib files slow to load

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 22:06:13 CEST 2018

Hi Kyle,

On 2018-04-12 16:39, Kyle Woodward wrote:
> I have noticed the following behavior in TeXworks (Windows 8.1 64 bit):
>
> (*) .tex files open essentially immediately (double-click file,
> TeXworks opens)
>
> (*) .bib files open after a delay of 3-10 seconds, seemingly
> increasing in file size
>
> The behavior disappears if I rename a .bib file as a .tex file, so it
> somehow has something to do with interpretation of the file extension.
>
> This gets incredibly frustrating as bibliographies become large, so at
> this point I use TeXworks for LaTeX and vi for BibTeX.
>
> Is there a something I can do to avoid/speed up this behavior?

This sounds like a syntax highlighting problem. Please try the latest
development version of Tw (available from
https://bintray.com/texworks/Windows-latest/TeXworks-for-Windows%3Alatest)
where this should have been fixed. Alternatively, you can try disabling
syntax highlighting in the preferences to see if this makes any difference.

HTH