[texworks] .bib files slow to load

Kyle Woodward kyle.woodward at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:39:41 CEST 2018

I have noticed the following behavior in TeXworks (Windows 8.1 64 bit):

(*) .tex files open essentially immediately (double-click file, TeXworks
opens)

(*) .bib files open after a delay of 3-10 seconds, seemingly increasing in
file size

The behavior disappears if I rename a .bib file as a .tex file, so it
somehow has something to do with interpretation of the file extension.

This gets incredibly frustrating as bibliographies become large, so at this
point I use TeXworks for LaTeX and vi for BibTeX.

Is there a something I can do to avoid/speed up this behavior?

Kyle