[texworks] Mac OS X: request for testing

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 04:14:29 CET 2016

Hi Otared,

On 06.03.2016 23:30, Otared Kavian wrote:
> I am not familiar with the JS scripting you are using, but the version of babelLanguage.js which is sitting in
> 	~/Library/TeXWorks/scripts/Hooks
> is Version 0.3.1 with date 2012-03-20, and on line 41 there is only a comment. I don’t see what I can change there and make another test.
> The first instance of the word « target » appears on line 62.

That seems to be the current script that should be fine. But you
mentioned previously that there are two versions of that script shown in
the "Manage Scripts" dialog.
To find the other one, it might be easiest to enable the script debugger
- that should show the path to the file that causes problems.

> By the way, another buglet I have observed in TeXworks concerns the behaviour of window bar in each opened file: in any other Mac application, when Command-clicking the title of the window (that is the name of the file which appears in the middle of the title bar), then one has access to the folder where the file resides. In recent TeXWorks this is not the case, but I think previously this was possible (though I am not sure…).

Interesting... though I'm not sure Qt (the window framework Tw is built
on) supports this. I'd have to look into this, but maybe someone has
some experience with other Qt applications here.

> Regarding the reasons for which I am more TeXShop oreinted, I should say that the first and main reason is probably old habits, and then the fact that TeXShop has had the time to polish things and become more and more Mac savvy. One example is for instance the printing capabilities, another one is the ability to have a sort of Time Machine on each file, which permits to go back in time to any version from the beginning of the creation of the file, and view or copy whatever source text one may have changed during the time.

That time machine capability definitely sounds interesting. Implementing
some version control scheme is definitely something to consider, however
that probably needs a proper "project management" implementation first
(that lets you track all files belonging to a "project").

> Also the concept of Engines in TeXShop is very useful when one desires to use different TeX engines on one’s machine (in my case I use often the beta versions of ConTeXt, along with TeXLive).

AFAIK, Tw has a similar concept (they are called "engines", too, anyway
;)). But presumably the engines in TeXShop have more capabilities, I
presume.

Thanks for sharing this information, in any case!

Best,