[texworks] Mac OS X: request for testing

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 04:49:36 CET 2016

Hi Otared,

On 06.03.2016 09:09, Otared Kavian wrote:
> • After having modified the Preferences according to what you suggested, when Enable QtScript debugger is chosen, a window appears showing the error message:
>
> Sun Mar 6 14:46:42 2016 Uncaught exception at /Users/kavian/Library/TeXworks/scripts/babelLanguage.js:41: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: target
>
> When this window is closed after having closed the source file TeXWorks crashes… But it does not crash when one closes the debugger window before the source file, and doing this the error window
>
> 	Script "Babel language": ReferenceError: Can't find variable: target
>
> is shown again.
>
> • When I uncheck the boxes next to Scripts > Scripting TeXworks > Manage Scripts > Hook Scripts the above mentioned behaviour does not change. By the way, there are two instances of « Babel language » under the item Hooks. Maybe one of them is spurious?

This probably explains everything. The fact that you have two scripts is
definitely atypical - there should only be one script. The fact that the
particular error you mention occurs on line 41 suggests to me that the
"wrong" script dates back to pre-2010: back then
(https://github.com/TeXworks/texworks/blob/738af76f981be14dd6ba3ed250d8b994e819fd74/res/resfiles/scripts/babelLanguage.js),
Tw used a slightly different way of communicating with scripts. Since
then, quite a few things have changed, so the old script is no longer
running - instead it throws the error. You can simply remove it (it
should be identifiable by the string "// Version: 0.1" on line 5).

> Actually I use rather TeXShop, so the behaviour I am reporting on is in order to help you, and other developpers to nail down the culprits, and moreover these buglets are not really important.

Thanks a lot for testing!
BTW: is there anything in particular that TeXShop does better in your
opinion that should be improved in Tw?

Best,