[texworks] Mac OS X: request for testing

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:29:52 CET 2016

Hi Otared,

On 05.03.2016 17:51, Otared Kavian wrote:
> 1) When creating a new file, say test.tex, the error message does not appear. But when one closes test.tex and re-open it the warning:
> 	Script "Babel language": ReferenceError: Can't find variable: target
> appears.

OK. Just to be sure: this happens even if test.tex was not typeset, so
there is no PDF file opening when you open the TeX, right?
Does this message appear in the status bar or as popup dialog?

A few other things to test:
*) Do other scripts that access "target" work - such as Scripts > Text
transforms > Title Case?
*) What hook scripts are enabled (see Scripts > Scripting TeXworks >
Manage Scripts > Hook Scripts). By default, this should be one "Babel
language" and one "Errors, warnings, badboxes".
*) Can you enable the script debugger under Edit > Preferences... >
Scripts > Enable QtScript debugger? The next time you open a TeX file,
it should fire up the debugger window. Which script is the error in (the
filename should be displayed on the left)? Which line is the error in
(pointed to by the arrow) and what is the command in that line? In
addition, on the right side there should be a panel called "Locals". If
you expand "Scope", you should find "TW". If you expand that as well,
there should be "target". What's written next to it?

> 2) I guess the command
> 	\usepackage[...]{babel}
> is specific to LaTeX, which I am not really familiar with (I am rather ConTeXt, or Plain TeX, oriented…), and I have never used with such directives: so I don’t know what should be a test file in this regard… Sorry! If you have a test file with or without such a command, I can test it for you if you send it to me.

Yes, it is indeed LaTeX. Here's a minimal working example (using German):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
\begin{document}
Hallo Welt
\end{document}

You can simple remove the \usepackage line for testing.

Best,
Stefan

PS: If you don't need/want the script, you can disable it as described
above. However, I'd very much appreciate getting to the bottom of this.