[texworks] Unicode characters above USV+00FF not displaying

Dennis Pepler unicode.tech at missionassist.org.uk
Fri Sep 18 19:45:13 CEST 2015

I am completely new to LaTeX, not even a newbie, I'd say. Very soon I
have to typeset a linguistic thesis written in MS Word - ~520 A4 pages
with over 1,000 tables, and a vast bibliography. The publisher expects a
TeX file.

As a first step I've used Word-to-LaTeX to produce a tex input file.
Various TeX editors have failed to compile the document, so I am first
ensuring that, in TeXWorks, I can compile a simple one page document
which uses Unicode characters above USV+00FF. So far success is only
partial.

In TW I have set xelatex as the compiler, overriding the default
pdfLaTeX which was finding errors.
The font is set as Calibri 10pt.
When I invoke the Typeset command the document compiles but Unicode
characters above USV+00FF are not displayed.
Visually characters either side of the missing characters appear next to
each other. I have not yet investigated to check whether the missing
characters are replaced by zero-width spaces, (a problem encountered
elsewhere in MS Word).

What should I do to get the full text to compile and display in the
output file, please?

Dennis Pepler,
MissionAssist, Unicode Technical
MissionAssist is a working name of Wycliffe Associates (UK) Trust