[texworks] Trouble with graphics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 14 00:54:29 CET 2014

> On Nov 13, 2014, at 4:31 PM, Tracy, Fred T ERDC-RDE-ITL-MS <Fred.T.Tracy at erdc.dren.mil> wrote:
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: FOUO
>
> Hello!
>
> All works well (tables, equations, etc.) except for graphics. I took a .eps file that I got to work just fine before in a Windows XP version of Winedt but the picture doesn’t appear when I use this editor. I first installed Miktex on this Windows 7 machine. My .tex lines are
>
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
> .
> .
> .
> \begin{figure}[ht]
> \vspace{2.5in}
> \centering
> \includegraphics[width=12cm]{tracy_iciam07_fig3.eps}
> \caption{Levee.}
> \label{diff}
> \end{figure}
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fred

Howdy,

By default TeXworks uses pdflatex to typeset the document. You're still using the [dvips] option to the graphics package. Remove that option:

\usepackage{graphicx}

will do it. Then, assuming you have a fairly recent TeX distribution, pdflatex will automatically convert the .eps file to a .pdf file and then include that; the conversion is file.eps->file-eps-converted-to.pdf and taken care of by the graphicx package.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)