[texworks] LaTeXmk issue with Mac OS X Yosemite (new OS)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Oct 18 23:58:21 CEST 2014

> On Oct 18, 2014, at 3:47 PM, Guillaume Cabanac <guillaume.cabanac at univ-tlse3.fr> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am a happy user of TeXworks for Mac.  Unfortunately, since I updated to Yosemite (the new OS X), compiling with the LaTeXmk option in TeXworks does not seem to work any more:

> Latexmk: Run number 1 of rule 'pdflatex'
> sh: pdflatex: command not found
> Collected error summary (may duplicate other messages):
>  pdflatex: (Pdf)LaTeX failed to generate the expected log file 'paper.log'
> Latexmk: Did not finish processing file 'paper.tex':
>   (Pdf)LaTeX failed to generate the expected log file 'paper.log'
> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing,
> unless error was exceeding maximum runs of latex/pdflatex.
>
> It is as if pdflatex (invocated from latexmk.pl) was not found in the PATH.
>   ---> sh: pdflatex: command not found
>
> Compiling from the terminal with latexmk works, though.
>
> Could it be that when TeXworks launches latexmk.pl in a process, the environment is not set?  -- a change in how OSX handles processes?
>
> Here are seemingly related info -> https://github.com/SublimeText/Issues/issues/388
>
> A few friends reproduced this issue.  Does anybody know a workaround or something?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best,
>
> Guillaume

Howdy,

This has nothing to do with TeXworks or the latexmk tools for TeXworks. It has everything to do with the Yosemite installer doing some strange things. Please let us know the output of the following Terminal commands:

echo $PATH

ls -alF /

ls -alF /usr

ls -alF /usr/local

ls -alF /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-darwin/pdflatex

so we can analyze what's going on.

Others thinking about updating to Yosemite should read the information at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/yosemite.html> for more information and a way to avoid the problem with the Yosemite install.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz