[texworks] question

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 20 16:10:28 CEST 2014

On Jul 20, 2014, at 4:20 AM, Rodney <rcoleman at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a question. I am using TeXworks pdflatex with a Macintosh and have a problem with
> the \input command. I have created a master file and a subfile. In the master file I
> call the subfile with the input command:  \input{subfile}. However, nothing happens,
> not even an error message. Could you please help me with this problem.
> Thank you in advance.
> Best regards,
> Rodney Coleman

Howdy,

First: subfile should be called subfile.tex (the \input{subfile} command expects that).
Second: where is subfile.tex located? It should be in the same directory as the master file or a location where (La)TeX will find it; ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ if you are using the TeX Live installed by MacTeX.

By the way, to be able to automatically sync from subfile.tex to the pdf you need the line

% !TEX root = relative/path/to/rootfile

where relative/path/to/rootfile is the relative path to the root file; e.g. ../rootfile.tex if subfile.tex is in a sub-directory of the directory with the rootfile.tex.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)