[texworks] Broken installation. Can't process ConTeXt files.

Hugh Sparks hugh at csparks.com
Fri Jun 21 19:35:01 CEST 2013

I'm a new MiKTeX user, trying to migrate from texlive.
My source files are in ConTeXt.
After installing and running TeXworks, I was able to drag-n-drop a
source file into the workspace window and see the pdf output almost
instantly. Very impressive!

Then I foolishly tried to change the setting in the Typeset menu from:

     PdfLaTex+MakeIndex+BibTeX

    ConTeXt (pdfTeX)

When I ran typeset again, it failed with the console output showing an
"Undefined control sequence for \definepapersize. I put the Typeset menu
selection back to the original value, but now it never works, always
failing to find the \definepapersize directive. I tried all the other
typeset menu selections with the same result. Finally I removed the
entire MiKTeX package and re-installed it. It still doesn't work.
Somewhere a configuration file is left behind that keeps the package
from working as originally installed.

How can I get ConTeXt working again?

If I may add a related question, how could I process a ConTeXt source
file to create a pdf using the command line?

Thanks for helping an ignorant beginner. I tried to find information
about running context in both the manual and the FAQ file without success.