[texworks] Passing questions for which

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:12:33 CET 2013

Hi,

On 2013-01-30 08:40, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> I'd like to have answer.

Don't we all ;).

> I edit in gvim (old habits ...) but have TeXworks open (2 windows,
> usually: source and PDF output).  When each session starts, TeXworks
> realizes that the .tex file has changed when I write to the source
> file from gvim, but at some point in every session, it stops paying
> attention.  Then, it seems to me, I have to close TeXworks and start
> it anew.  I've looked for a 'refresh' button/menu choice, but I
> haven't found one.  Is there a 'refresh from file' action?

There's no "refresh from file" action. Tw should do this automatically.
If it doesn't, I'd consider this a bug (though if it's in Tw itself or
in the underlying Qt framework I don't know). The problem then is: how
to reproduce it (quickly and consistently)?

> Would it be hard to write a 'refresh' script?

If you mean a script that, when executed, reloads the file content: no,
that should be easy enough. Scripts have the ability to read files, the
TeX filename should be available too, so this should be straight forward
to write a script that replaces the current text with the content of the
file on the disk.

> Is there a version of TeXworks available for download that has Python
> available for scripting; my copy has QtScript and Lua, but I hadn't
> planned on learning another scripting language just now . . .

No, unfortunately not anymore. There once was, but some people told us
that they way we included Python was unsafe and prone to breaking some
important Python functionality (at least on Windows, IIRC). Since we
didn't find anyone so far who could "make things right", Python support
was removed from the official builds for the time being. Besides, up
until now, scripting (almost) exclusively concentrated on QtScript
(which is pretty similar to JavaScript), so there was no real demand for
Python so far.

HTH