[texworks] Path and preferences

Alain Delmotte alain.delmotte at leliseron.org
Wed Jan 30 09:26:29 CET 2013

Hi,

For the moment I am trying ConTeXt.

There is ConTeXt in TeX Live, but it is not regularly
updated and ConTeXt changes from one day to the other. So I
installed a standalone version in its own folder (adding the
path to the Windows path variable).

In TeXworks I had to put the path of ConTeXt before the path
to TeX Live; if not TeXworks was looking in TeX Live first,
finding there some of the required, but outdated, files for
ConTeXt.

My question is: are the paths in "Preferences / Composition
necessary"; are they not redundant with the Windows' path?

I ask, because I have TeX Live 2011 and 2012 installed.
Some time ago I wanted to use a package, which I updated in
2012, but it was still not working.
The problem was that the call to pdflatex had a full path
pointing to 2011 and then the search was to 2011 outdated
files (I'll suppress 2011 soon).
Suppressing the path in the call to pdflatex solved the
problem (as far as I can remember).

Thanks,

Alain