[texworks] message from TeXworks user(MiKTeX)

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 05:13:45 CEST 2012

Hello,

** Gilles, Christian [2012-08-17 15:40:17 -0400]:

> I'm using texworks with miktex to typeset files on windows (XP).
> I have a bib file (mybib.bib) and in my tex file I have the instruction
> \bibliography{mybib}

> When I put mybib.bib in the same directory as the tex file, everything
> is fine. But I have many tex directory and only one mybib.bib, so I
> want to specify a path to the bib file.  Neither (a) setting the
> TEXINPUTS environment variable to this path, nor (b) using
> edit->preferences, choosing the Typesetting tab, and adding
> --include-directory=C:/Program  Files/MiKTeX 2.8/bibtex/bib/base
> (that is where I put mybib.bib) to the set of BibTeX arguments works.
> What am I doing wrong?

Did you read the manual? See these links
http://docs.miktex.org/2.9/manual/localadditions.html
http://docs.miktex.org/2.9/manual/envvars.html

I would recommend to use "Local TeXMF tree":
1. create C:\texmf-local\bibtex\bib\cgilles
   and place there your bib file(s)
2. add the C:\texmf-local directory as explained in first link;
3. refresh FNDB;
4. now everything should work.

If you prefer use the environment variables and understand how to set
them in Windows then use BIBINPUTS env variable instead of TEXINPUTS,
see the second link.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

P.S. Actually you question doesn't retaled with TeXworks but with MiKTeX
itself, unfortunately many users don't understand that due to complex
nature of modern TeX distributions.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Why am I so soft in the middle when the rest of my life is so hard?
		-- Paul Simon