[texworks] xubuntu

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:59:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 2012-07-12 08:31, Jean-Claude Raoult wrote:
> You are right : 3) did not work, but TeXworks was not in fault there,
> only the TeX distribution. I suppressed everything and re-downloaded it
> from scratch. Nevertheless, there are still errors in the postinstallation
> scripts: error 1 and error 127, depending on the dependency which is
> not satisfied, I suppose.

Interesting. Normally, there shouldn't be any unsatisfied
dependencies... Could you post more about the errors you encountered?
With which installation method did you encounter them? (I know this is
somewhat off-topic here, but I'm curious ;))

>   I tried successively to download trough the "logithèque Ubuntu" and again
> through Synaptic. Same disease.

Personally, I usually advise against using the "official" Ubuntu
channels as they usually don't get updated. If you want to be able to
update TeX, and install only the packages you need, unfortunately you
have to use other ways.

> I shall now try to download "by hand";
> but I noticed that TeXlive scatters its children here and there on the file
> system instead of putting its files in a single directory. So I reckon it will
> be difficult.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean with "by hand". I used the method
outlined at http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html. You only
need to download one file, and it does everything else "automatically".
The resulting files all went to /usr/local/texlive in my case (with some
symlinks in /usr/local/bin).

HTH