[texworks] Advanced invoking of bibtex as tool

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue May 1 21:07:00 CEST 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2012-04-25 19:00, heck.johannes at googlemail.com wrote:
>> has anyone of you already experimented with the biblatex workflow
>> automation as suggested here
>> <http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/biblatex/index.php?title=Workflow_Automation>?
>
> I haven't, but I'll try to give some suggestions nevertheless. This
> website just deals with biblatex, but not biber, am I right?
>
>> I need to pass a very special variable to biblatex (mincrossref=99),
>> but this won’t work as simple argument.
>> “m
>> incrossrefs={integer} default: 2
>> Sets the minimum number of cross references to hintegeri when requesting a
>> BibTeX run. Note that this package option merely affects the format of
>> certain
>> requests written to the transcript file. It will not have any effect
>> if the editor or
>> compiler script launching BibTeX does not include dedicated biblatex
>> support or
>> if BibTeX is manually launched from the command-line. See § 2.4.4 for
>> details.
>> ” (biblatex manual, p. 49)
>> § 2.4.4 only points to loqreq package which not yet has a manual and
>> to the wiki-link I’ve already posted.
>
> As I understand it, the mincrossrefs you mention (from the biblatex
> manual) is actually a package option, i.e., something to set like
> \usepackage[mincrossefs=99]{biblatex}
>
> If I understand it correctly, this is not to be confused with the
> "-min-crossrefs" argument you can pass to bibtex like
> bibtex -min-crossrefs=99 auxname.aux
>
> although the two are related somewhat (I guess biblatex passes its value
> on to bibtex somehow?).
>
>> At the moment, I call Biber from the tools pull-down menu. I added
>>
>> [002]
>> name=Biber
>> program=biber.exe
>> arguments=$basename
>> showPdf=false
>> to my tools.ini.
>>
>> Is it possible to write a python or perl script which invokes
>> biber/biblatex with those special options and then call this script
>> from Texworks tools?
>
> For biber, I didn't find any command line option corresponding to
> "-min-crossrefs", but "mincrossrefs" is referenced in the documentation
> a few times. So I would guess that biblatex passes its value on to biber
> automatically (e.g., through some configuration file).
>
> Writing python/perl/... scripts is certainly possible. The question is
> rather if it's really necessary?
>
> HTH
> Stefan
>
>> P.S.: 0.5r998 runs very smoothly on my machine. I have the feeling
>> that TW runs faster, lower latencies when opening a document or the
>> preview.
>> No errors occured yet, only the launchPDF script is not working, the
>> Statusbar says: “Skript: ‘open in default viewer’: TypeError: Result
> [...]

Howdy,

I've been using latexmk and biblatex with the biber backend without a problem. Recent versions of latexmk auto-detect that biber is needed and switch to using biber rather than using bibtex. The only thing I've done is to add a dependency for the bibliographic title index example since it defines a new index (using the index package) tdx->tnd. For my sort of stuff it just works.

I suspect that latexmk 5.xx may parse the xml file produced by biblatex but I don't think it does that now.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)