[texworks] Lost Going Native

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Feb 22 05:17:48 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Adam Frank <phil.math.logic at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been using the Windows pre-installed TeXworks software for years and
> have become modestly fluent in it, but saw recently that it was version
> 0.3.0 when there's a version 0.4.something out there so I figured I'd try
> it, which meant downloading and installing.  However, now when I run it, it
> gives me an error about not having a Perl interpreter.  Well of course I
> don't--I don't even know what that is.
>
> So I've spent the last hour+ trying to figure out what I need to do.  I
> downloaded and installed TeXLive and latexmk, though not really
> understanding what any of this stuff is, and I still get the same error
> when I try to compile a LaTeX document. So... help?  I'm just really lost
> swimming in a sea of words and concepts I don't understand.
>
> Thank you,
> Adam

This usually happens when your TeX compiler (drop down menu next to the
typeset button) gets set to `latexmk` which is a Perl script for compiling
TeX documents and re-compiling them until the indices and bibliographies
are all present. Of course, this requires a Perl interpreter in order to
work.

You probably want to set the compiler to something like `pdflatex` or
`lualatex`.

-Charlie