[texworks] Scripting: - Scripts - Request for web / code addresses

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:33:55 CET 2012

On 16 January 2012 19:54, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2012-01-11 09:33, Paul A Norman wrote:
> > latexErrors.js I've added to the list of your scripts.
> >
> > That is a pretty central script to the running of a Typeset.
> >
> > Is Stefan Löffler the current maintainer of that script in the main
> > release of TeXworks?
>
> Yes, I am (well, any maintainer of Tw is/can be a maintainer of the
> script), theoretically, anyway - practically I haven't changed it
> recently (I've been busy working on the pdf previewer code). The
> description sounds very interesting, however, and I'll definitely have a
> look at Henrik's changes.
>
> > This sort of raises again Charlie Sharpsteen's idea of a
> > Script down-loader, here I would add updater - especially for what are
> > perhaps yet to be recognised as core TeXworks scripts.
>
> In short: core scripts should be updated automatically already.
> The longer story with more if's: All resources (scripts, but also auto
> completion files, syntax highlighting definitions, etc.) should be
> updated automatically if they weren't changed when a newer version of Tw
> (which includes newer versions of said files) is run.
>
> Of course, this doesn't include non-core scripts (as there is no
> standard way to check for updates or download new files). The script
> downloader faces the same problem (no standard way of accessing scripts
> on the web).
> Of course, a web platform (even with suitable API to query downloads and
> versions) is possible - in fact that's the direction you, Paul, are
> heading. What remains is the security concerns if this ever picks up so
> it's no longer possible to look over each individual file (e.g., a fully
> automated work-flow where a user just needs to upload a new script file
> for it to show up in a potential Tw script downloader).
>
> Yes so far I've only looked to providing a simple mechanism for a User to
be able to determine whether a newer version of a Script is available form
the Script Designer's web/code page.

Downloading and installing is still up to the User.

I realised thinking it through only to that point, was avoiding the
potential issues raised through directly dragging such a Script update down
and installing/overwriting through say wget or something.

Paul