[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Nov 13 22:28:41 CET 2011

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> It seems to me that it does detect if there is a viable TeX distribution. If the engine doesn't run an error message is generated! :-)
>
> There are multiple TeX distributions available in many cases I don't think it's the job of TeXworks to check all possibilities since even those change with time.
>
> While we're at it why not have TeXworks translate spoken word in viable (La)TeX? That would be part of ``the works'' wouldn't it?

I wasn't suggesting that it necessarily try to identify
which distribution (if any) was installed; rather, it
should try to see whether the basic commands, stored
in and visible from the default drop-down "Typeset"
list, exist, and, if they do, whether they process
a basic test document compatible with that typesetting
engine and produce output files of the names expected.

** Phil.