[texworks] Message from TeXworks user

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Nov 13 22:23:23 CET 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Paul A Norman wrote:
>
>> Does it warrant a turn-off-able auto-detection of Preferences, and
>> throwing up an advice or launching the appropriate part of TeXworks
>> help if there is no typeset engine set or detected in likely paths?
>>
>> Or would it be it too complicated to determine whether there is an
>> appropriate typesetting engine in path or settings?
>
> Given that TeXworks is called TeXworks, and that (in British
> English, at least) "the works" is slang for "everything"
> (as in "I'll have the works", when asked what you want for
> breakfast), I think that making a very good attempt at
> detecting whether or not a viable TeX system is installed
> and callable would be a Very Good Thing [tm].
>
> Philip Taylor

Howdy,

It seems to me that it does detect if there is a viable TeX distribution. If the engine doesn't run an error message is generated! :-)

There are multiple TeX distributions available in many cases I don't think it's the job of TeXworks to check all possibilities since even those change with time.

While we're at it why not have TeXworks translate spoken word in viable (La)TeX? That would be part of ``the works'' wouldn't it?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)