[texworks] Wishlist for pdf previewer

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 01:56:43 CET 2011

> Stefan, I fully second your decision to drop Python.  I asked for
> scripting support from the beginning.  But I still don't see the need
> to support zillions of scripting languages.  I proposed Lua because
> it's easy to learn and more portable than anything else since there is
> LuaTeX.  I also think that people learn Lua in order to have more fun
> with LuaTeX.  But if QtScript already provides a lot of things which
> have to be ported to Lua, I would also be happy with QtScript.

I am obviously biased in liking QtScript! -- and agree with Reinhard, that
exposure to/and availability of LuaScript is very worth while with the
 LuaTeX future we face--and who knows if TeXworks would perhaps be able to
interact more directly with the whole Typesetting process one day?

Re dropping Python -- no one is really in touch with the user base -
especially given the way TeXworks is distributed - generally people only
surface when there is a problem, so there would appear to be a significant
risk that if people using Python scripts with TeXworks are happy with it,
we will not ever know about them, until one day they find a new release of
 TeXworks withdraws their python support and breaks all their publishing
processes!

Paul