[texworks] Wishlist for pdf previewer

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue Nov 1 01:27:43 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de>wrote:

> On 2011-10-31 at 20:35:04 +0100, Stefan Löffler wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > On 2011-09-25 00:14, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>  > > First of all, I think that a multipage view is quite useful in order
>  > > to check whether right-hand pages have odd numbers (or even numbers in
>  > > Arabic or Hebrew documents), but I never understood what continuous
>  > > view is good for.  I find it rather anoying when PDF files turn it on.
>  >
>  > I guess that depends on your way of work, and the files you're working
>  > on. Personally, what I dislike about single page view is the abruptness
>  > when I go from one page to the next. Of course this doesn't apply to
>  > presentations.
>  > But all in all, I guess it's a matter of taste, so both single page and
>  > continuous modes should be supported.
>  >
>  > > I agree on what Phil Taylor already said about marquee zoom.  That's
>  > > what I'm using in Adobe Reader quite frequently.
>  >
>  > Marquee zoom has already been implemented and works quite well (up to
>  > "insane" magnifications of several 10000%).
>
> Hi Stefan,
> with rev. 943 I get at most 800%.  Is there anything I have to
> configure?
>
>  > >  * A frame should be drawn around the magnifying glass.  I discussed
>  > >    this with Jonathan already in The Hague but he had not enough time
>  > >    to implement it himself.
>  >
>  > This is implemented.
>
> I don't see it here.  Hmmm.  I ran
>
>  svn up
>  make distclean
>  qmake
>  make

These features only exist in the viewer prototype which is bouncing between
two branches on GitHub:

  https://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks/tree/multipage-viewer
  https://github.com/stloeffler/TeXworks/tree/multipage-viewer

The prototype is just a simple PDF viewer application without any
TeX-related features. We will probably migrate the new code into the SVN
tree sometime in the next few months---all that really remains to be done
on this iteration is bugfixes and code cleanup.

-Charlie