[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:27:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

sorry to chime in so late, but I have been quite busy recently.
Anyway, the latest "official" TeXworks binaries for windows (i.e. those
distributed via Google Code, not via any TeX distro) should not depend
on any dlls - everything should be linked in (except for Python).

So, my suggestion would be to download TeXworks
(http://texworks.googlecode.com/files/TeXworks-w32-0.5-r932.zip),
extract it (e.g., on your desktop) and run it in portable mode (see the
TeXworks manual, section 5.7 for how to do that;
http://texworks.googlecode.com/files/TeXworks-manual-r814.pdf). This
way, you can ensure that it is completely independent, doesn't depend on
a TeX distro, and doesn't use any resources other versions might (have)
use(d) (e.g., registry keys, configuration files, etc.). Also, by using
the "official" version, you get around all the issues arising from
wrappers in other directories etc.

If that still doesn't work, see if in the libpath (see manual) you get
several files and subdirectories, and in the inipath (again see manual)
a configuration file.

HTH,