[texworks] Texworks quit working (on windows)

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 04:41:05 CEST 2011

Hi Reinhard!

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
> On 2011-09-28 at 12:47:06 -0400, K. Frank wrote:
>
>  > I am thinking of trying three things.  Both involve reinstalling
>  > TeX Live, which makes experimentation somewhat difficult, because
>  > TeX Live, to say the least, is not a fast installation process.
>  >
>  > First, uninstall everything to make sure I get a clean install.
>  >
>  > Then:
>  > ...
>
> IMO it doesn't make any sense to remove TeX Live if TeXworks is the
> only program which doesn't run properly.  It wasn't even necessary to
> remove MiKTeX.  You can install TL if MiKTeX is present, if you remove
> texlive/2011/win32/bin from PATH, you are back to MiKTeX.
>
> Did you try to uninstall TeXworks using tlmgr and install it again?

No, I haven't tried that.  I could.  But (and correct me if I'm wrong)
shouldn't taking a new, clean install of TeX Live (which is what I
have) and then using tlmgr to uninstall and reinstall TeXworks be
a no-op?  What would change if I did this?

> BTW, TeX Live doesn't provide 64-bit binaries for Windows.  It is very
> unlikely that 32-bit binaries behave differently on 64-bit systems and
> nobody reported such problems so far.

Yes, I agree with that.  I'm not an expert, but, as far as I can tell, whatever
64-bit windows 7 does with its 32-bit subsystem seems to work very well.
I have not yet encountered any (windows-7 compatible) 32-bit applications
that have any problem on 64-bit windows 7.

> Regards,
>  Reinhard

Thanks for your help.

K. Frank