[texworks] Wishlist for pdf previewer

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Sep 22 18:44:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com>wrote:

> Alright, so let's all work together to improve the pdf previewer.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

On that note, the new viewer prototype is available on GitHub in the
`multipage-viewer` branch of my TeXworks fork:

  https://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks/tree/multipage-viewer

You can get the code by installing Git and running:

  git clone https://github.com/Sharpie/TeXworks
  cd TeXworks
  git checkout multipage-viewer

After that, if the development headers for Qt 4, freetype2, poppler and
poppler-qt4 are known to pkg-confing, simply type `make` to build the
project. A fairly-recent Qt build may be required---I would suggest at least
4.7.x but 4.4.x and higher might work.

The makefile builds a prototype called `pdf_viewer` which just focuses on
the new viewer implementation in the `src` folder---it is not a full build
of TeXworks.

If anyone wants to help implement new features---feel free to hack on the
viewer prototype and submit pull requests back to GitHub (
http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests) or even via email using (git
format-patch). The prototype is currently only ~1000 lines of code in 2
files compared to TeXworks which has ~16,750 lines of code in 49 files so it
should be easier for people to jump in without feeling lost.

Happy Hacking!

-Charlie