[texworks] Problem with .eps files

Mark Saul marksaul at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 19 03:09:30 CEST 2011

Andreas: Thank you for your kind reply.  Can I prevail just a bit more
on your kindness?

>If it is neccessary to use eps-Files, you have to use latex instead of
pdflatex (which is default).

>  So you have to go this way:

>   file.tex ->  file.dvi ->  file.ps ->  file.pdf

>using latex, dvips and ps2pdf

As a naive user, I'm not sure what this is saying.  I compile the code,
and now see that I've been using PdfLatex--under the 'Typeset' menu in
TexWorks.  I tried choosing 'LaTexmk', but immediately got an error
messag e"The Perl interpreter could not be found."  I'm totally lost.

How do I create a file.dvi file?  Where do I get dvips?  Is that yet
another compiler, that eats .dvi files and gives .ps files?  And will
ps2pdf take a .ps file as imput and give me a .pdf file?

If so, where do i find all these programs?

I thank you in advance for your patience with me.