[texworks] Problem with .eps files

Andreas Hirsch cursus.publicus at sacrumromanumimperium.org
Sun Sep 18 19:18:45 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,

quoting Mark Saul, [18.09.2011 18:50 +0100]:
> I hope someone here can help me.
>
> I am a relatively naive end user of TexWorks, which has been wonderful
> for me.
>
> I'm now working on a book, and the publisher requires that diagrams
> (it's mathematics) be in .eps format.  It says in my Latex manual
> (Gratzer, More Math in Latex) that Latex assumes .eps files, so I should
> just use the command \usepackage{graphicx} in the preamble, then code like:
>
> \begin{figure}[ht]
>
> \includegraphics{fig1}
>
> \ncaption{1}
>
> \end{figure}
>

> This works fine if the file fig1 is a .png file.  But if I try it with
> an .eps file, I get an error message:
>
> LaTex Error: 'fig1' not found.
>
> The only thing I changed was the format: .png to .eps.  Both these
> graphics files were created with GeoGebra, a dynamic geometry package.
> I tried saving the Tex source code as foo.tex and also as foo.ltx.  It
> didn't seem to help.  I am using Windows (but as a bona fide naive user,
> I don't know the version--it's later than Windows 7).
>
> Can anyone advise me on how to use .eps files?

If it is neccessary to use eps-Files, you have to use latex instead of
pdflatex (wihich is default).

So you have to go this way:

file.tex -> file.dvi -> file.ps -> file.pdf

using latex, dvips and ps2pdf

Another wy could be (if only your publisher needs the eps-Files):

Create eps/png-Versions of eyery image an use pdflatex and transfer the
eps-Files to your publisher

Andreas

--
'Wem genug zu wenig ist, dem ist nichts genug.'
		Epikur, 341 v. Chr. - 270 v. Chr.