[texworks] TL2011 pretest on win7

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 10:46:48 CEST 2011

On 28/06/2011 08:35, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> What are, in detail, the steps to compile, under TeXworks files with
> postscript commands?
> There are two, if I am not mistaken (latex-dvips-ps2pdf and straight
> pdflatex adding a package) but TeXworks has to be adapted in both cases.
> Further, are these solutions equivalent?

With a modern TeX installation (which of course includes TL2011),
pdfLaTeX automatically allows epstopdf to be run to convert any EPS
graphics to PDF format for inclusion. So for graphic inclusion, there is
nothing to do at the TeXworks end: it 'just works'.

To run latex + dvips + ps2pdf you need a suitable script. There have
been various discussions on this on the list (see for example the thread
'latex->dvips->ps2pdf on Windows',
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/texworks/2009q2/000819.html). The correct
solution depends on the operating system, so it is not quite so straight
forward. For example, on Windows one can write a small batch file to do
the job.

The key point, however, is that TeXworks is primarily aimed at new TeX
users, for whom direct PDF output is likely to be the best approach.
Experienced users may need to use DVI mode, but will also either (a)
have a favoured editor or (b) be experienced enough to sort this out
themselves.

(Unless you are a heavy PStricks user then direct PDF output is normally
okay for most people.)

> I'll also be interested to pdflatex, biblatex, makeindex, pdflatex,
> pdflatex.
> How to achieve that?

That needs something beyond TeX. MiKTeX has (pdf)texify for this
purpose, and newer TeXLive's include latexmk, which again seeks to do
the job.
--
Joseph Wright