[texworks] Unwanted side-effect of <tab> : how to avoid ?

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Jun 13 20:53:24 CEST 2011

Stefan Löffler wrote:

> In particular (as
> elaborated a bit elsewhere in this thread), Tw has no way of
> knowing/guessing what kind of file you're working on.

This part I don't understand.  When I open a file in TeXworks,
the first thing I do is to go to the dropdown menu alongside
the green "Typeset" arrow and select the engine needed to
process that file.  Once I have done that, TeXworks /knows/
what kind of file I am working on, and could then offer
autocompletion appropriate to that kind of file.  Prior to
setting the typesetting engine, autocompletion must be
completely inappropriate since, as you say, "Tw has no way of
knowing/guessing what kind of file you're working on".

** Phil.