[texworks] Are the smart quote strings configurable?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:07:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-04-11 13:44, BPJ wrote:
> The subject line says it all, really: Are the smart quote strings
> configurable? Ideally they should be configurable through the GUI
> since they are language dependent: what's appropriate for English
> isn't appropriate for Swedish, and other languages have other
> quoting styles again. I would like to have TW's smart quoting
> feature being able to turn " and ' into ” and ’, rather than
> “” ‘’ while I type. Configuring the whole once and for all
> deep down in a config file won't do, as I work on English
> and Swedish documents about 50/50.

hm, despite the subject line and your text, I still don't know
completely what you want ;).
Anyway, I'll try to explain. Smart quotes are configurable in the file
configuration/smart-quotes-modes.txt. Unfortunately, there is no UI
dialog for this. However, you can add new settings there. So you could
add something like "[Unicode Swedish]" and "[Unicode English]". Then
both settings are available from the menu.

HTH