[texworks] how can I reset the editor that is called by typing "e" in the console bar?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Apr 9 19:42:35 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-08 at 12:27:37 -0400, lrudolph at meganet.net wrote:

 > Good day, all.  I have recently begun to use TeXWorks as a front
 > end to MikTex (which I have been using for many years, after
 > switching to it from emTeX), and I love it. I particularly love
 > that I can easily switch from viewing a typeset chapter of the book
 > I'm working on at the moment, to the TeX source file of that
 > chapter, nicely opened for me at the right line in TeXWorks.
 >
 > HOWEVER, in some cases I would prefer to simply type "e" in the
 > console bar, in direct reply to the TeX error message, and jump
 > into the appropriate source file, as before opened for me in
 > TeXWorks--but because of some setting, somewhere, what I jump into
 > instead is notepad.  (I am running all this under Windows 7.)  This
 > isn't the end of the world, but it is annoying.
 >
 > Is this setting something I can change (surely it is), and if so,
 > how?  It doesn't appear to be a TeXWorks setting (though I think it
 > ought to be...); is it a MikTeX setting? a Windows setting?  A
 > Google search has not been informative.

This is usually controlled by the environment variable TEXEDIT.  The
built-in default is notepad because it's assumed that that this exists
on all Windows installations.

You can set

   TEXEDIT=texworks -p=%d %s

where %s is a placeholder for the filename and %d for the line number.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25