[texworks] Fink Package (for MAC OS X) TeXworks 0.3 - Build error

Prerna Atri prernaatri at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:08:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> On 2011-04-05 16:44, Prerna Atri wrote:
>
> Thanks for your valuable suggestions. We commented the compilation flag
> used for enabling the poppler-xpdf headers and compiled TeXworks source. The
> error reported earlier is no longer seen.
>

> That's good news. In the long run, I still think this should be re-enabled
> in the future, but for now every error that is gone is a good one ;).
>

>  However, we are currently facing the following failure on TeXworks
> compilation.
> *
> *
> *
> /sw/src/fink.build/texworks-0.3-1/texworks-0.3/../../../../opt/kde4/mac/include/poppler/qt4/poppler-optcontent.cc:428:34:
> error: poppler-optcontent.moc: No such file or directory
>
>  The following build commands failed:
> TeXworks:
>  CompileC
> obj/TeXworks.build/Default/TeXworks.build/Objects-normal/i386/poppler-optcontent.o
> /sw/src/fink.build/texworks-0.3-1/texworks-0.3/../../../../opt/kde4/mac/include/poppler/qt4/poppler-optcontent.cc
> normal i386 c++ com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_2
> (1 failure)
> *
>
>  We searched for the .moc file but in vain. The poppler source folder for
> 10.7 has only the poppler-optcontent.cc file, which makes a reference to the
> poppler-optcontent.moc file, but we have not been able to locate the actual
> file.
>

> Again the old reminders: Tw is currently at 0.5, not 0.3, and you should
> really use an up-to-date version of poppler!

We are trying to port TeXworks as a package on Fink (
http://www.finkproject.org/). According to Fink packaging policy, for the
installing the dependencies of the application we are trying to port, we
must use packages already on Fink. The versions we mentioned for poppler and
other dependencies are the latest ones currently available on Fink. Hence,
moving to a newer version of poppler ( Hence, TW) is not feasible at the
moment.

> Anyway, I've looked at poppler 0.16.4, and the same file is still
> mentioned. Makefile.am (in the same directory) lists it as BUILT_SOURCES, so
> it's reasonable to assume it is an intermediate file produced on the fly.
> Indeed, there are also the following three lines in the same file:
> # This rule lets GNU make create any *.moc from the equivalent *.h
> .h.moc:
>         $(AM_V_GEN) $(MOCQT4) -i $< -o $@
>
> This suggests that you have to run Qt's moc to generate that file. Why this
> is not done automatically, however, is still a mystery to me.
>
> Speaking of mysteries - why does this error occur during the Tw build?
> Poppler is a dependency, but I'd expect it to be built/installed separately
> before Tw is touched for the first time. Related to this: if poppler is
> built as part of Tw (as opposed to separately), how is this done? For
> example, if it's not done using the usual ./configure && make, implicit
> rules like the .moc rule are easily missed.

As we mentioned above, poppler must be installed using the Fink package
which has already been built according to Fink packaging policy. It could be
possible that .moc files created in the process are for some reason not
available after installation. We shall try to verify the same by installing
poppler from source.

> HTH
> Stefan

Thanks,